Amazon.com

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Getting your financial life organized

Over the last several months, I've been spending a little time each week trying to get my family's financial life organized.

Now that we're completely debt free and now focused on trying to "win" with our money, I want to double back and be sure that my family is now on a solid, financial foundation as we move forward.

Here's some of the activities I've been involved in over the last several months to shore up our foundation:
  1. purchased a medium-size fireproof safe to have a safe, secure place to put all the important legal documents I would be putting together for a strong financial foundation.
  2. purchased will and other legal documents online; my wife and I filled these out and had them officially signed and notarized.
  3. purchased more disability and life insurance to protect my family if I should become injured or pass away unexpectedly.
  4. secured copies of my wife's and my birth certificates.
  5. secured copies of our marriage license.
  6. secured miscellaneous additional legal documents important to the family.

What I have remaining to complete in this area:

  1. secure my daughter's gift certificates
  2. purchase a portable hard drive to store important documents, files, photos, and store this in our safe.
  3. be sure all my paper legal documents (will, listing of assets, etc.) is completely clear and complete
  4. write down instructions to my wife or family members so they know exactly where to go and what to do in case of my death or both of our deaths.
  5. put together my personal notes, journals, and instructions to access my 2 personal blogs for "posterity" purposes to my family.
  6. put together any and all recordings I have ever created with my playing trumpet, conducting, and music arranging for "posterity' purposes for my family
  7. put together any original music and arrangements I have ever written for "posterity" purposes.

As you can see, this will probably be a continual, ongoing projects for my family!

Larry

No comments: